The last of our four weekly crafts sessions during the summer holidays. Children aged 5-13 can try out one of several crafts their parents or grandparents will recall – at school or in the home. The crafts are different each week. This is the final craft session.
£4 per single session or £3.50 per multiple sessions. Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult. Tel (01652) 635172 to book.
Mr. Samuel Wilderspin, infant educator, or one of his Agents, will lecture in the Primitive Methodist Chapel on Queen Street on the hour and half hour between from 11am until 2.30pm, and demonstrated in the adjacent Infants’’ School.
Joseph Wright Hall – open to view
Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th September, 11am – 3pm
The first floor gallery of this Grade II Listed Building (Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1867) is open for viewing where members of the Queen Street School Preservation Trust will be on hand to outline plans for its restoration and reuse.
Historic Barton Family Trail
Saturday 9th September, 10am – 12.30pm
This guided walk for families is designed to engage children with some of the town’s historic buildings and show the grownups how to use the new Historic Barton heritage trail phone app. The walk is free. Booking is advisable telephone (01652) 635172 to book.
Desperate Dan at 80 – Comic Capers
Sunday 10th September, 10am – 4pm
Desperate Dan, the Wild West character in the children’s comic The Dandy, made his first appearance in the first issue in December 1937. Come and share your memories of children’s comics to help celebrate his eightieth birthday!
Isaac Pitman developed the most widely used system of shorthand, known now as Pitman shorthand, which he proposed one hundred and eighty years ago. He developed his shorthand system while he was employed as teacher at the British School on Queen Street, just across the road from the museum. To mark the 120th anniversary of his death – look out for Pitman Puzzles at a number of the venues taking part in this year’s Heritage Open Days.
Other Heritage Weekend events:
A number of buildings and sites in the town will be open as part of the Heritage Open Weekend between 7th – 10th September. All are places of special interest or they are not usually accessible or the entrance charge has been waived. Admission to every venue is free. Refreshments are on sale at most venues.
Full programme details available: bartoncivicscoiety.co.uk and heritageopendays.org.uk.
Film Archive Shorts Night
Thursday 7th September, 7.30pm
Telephone (01652) 660380 for more details. Admission is free.
A Stroll in the Park – with Barton Civic Society
Saturday 9th September, 2pm
Saturday 9th September, 10.30am and 2.30pm
Telephone (01652) 660380 to book. Admission is free.
Open for Viewing
Sunday 10th September, 2pm -4pm
Telephone (01652) 635172 to book. Admission is free. Last admission 3.30pm.
St Peter’s Church
Open for Viewing and Guided Tours
Sunday 10th September, 10am – 3pm
Programme details are being constantly updated and maybe liable to last minute changes.
Also this weekend: Barton Carnival in Baysgarth Park
Isaac Pitman developed the most widely used system of shorthand, known now as Pitman shorthand, which he proposed one hundred and eighty years ago. He developed his shorthand system while he was employed as teacher at the British School (just across the road from the Museum) between 1832 and 1836 – practising while listening to sermons in the town’s churches and chapels. To mark the 120th anniversary of his death – we have one of the Pitman Puzzles which will tease visitors at a number of the venues taking part in this year’s Heritage Open Days.
Mr. Samuel Wilderspin, infant educator, or one of his esteemed Agents will lecture in the Primitive Methodist Chapel – specially opened for public viewing this weekend. Mr. Wilderspin’s pioneering teaching methods will be outlined and will be demonstrated in the adjacent National School.
Lectures will take place today only between on the half hour between 11.30am and 2.30pm, and last approximately one quarter of an hour. Public admission is free.
This huge and ornate Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened in 1867 and had seating for 600 people. The Chapel was designed by Joseph Wright of Hull (1818 – 85), and was one of his most impressive buildings. It is among the last surviving examples of his work.
It ceased to be used by the Methodists in 1961 and subsequently became the Salvation Army Citadel. The interior of the main hall was substantially redesigned by the insertion of a floor at gallery level, the removal of the ground floor pews and alterations to the frontage. Most of the gallery, together with virtually all the beautiful windows and the plasterwork to the ceiling and organ chamber arch survive. The first floor gallery of this Grade II Listed Building is open for viewing, and plans for its restoration and reuse by the Queen Street School Preservation Trust can be seen.